The birthstone of April has an interesting past and has a rich history. Here are 5 neat facts about diamonds.
- Diamonds are billions of years old—in some cases more than three billion years old.
- Diamonds form about 90 – 120 miles below ground and have been carried to the earth’s surface by deep volcanic eruptions.
- The largest diamond ever discovered was called the Cullinan diamond in South Africa. The Cullinan diamond weighed 3106 carats!
- 80% of the world’s diamonds are not suitable for jewelry
- The diamond is the hardest natural substance found on the Earth